Badgers (5–10 years)
Badgers are the youngest St John people, aged under 11 and usually meet once a week, taking part in a wide range of fun activities based on essential first aid and other fascinating topics, earning badges and certificates for each one.
As our youngest group Badgers follow a structured programme leading to the Super Badger Award. Most Badgers move on to become St John Cadets.
- learn first aid
- make new friends
- get creative with arts and crafts
- find out how the body works and how to stay healthy
- learn about helping their local community
- take part in team games
- develop leadership and communication skills, and much more!
Cadets (11–18 years)
As a Cadet, you’ll have an exciting journey ahead of you. You’ll get to meet new people, learn new skills, and build your confidence.
Cadets are our adult members of the future! Starting at age 11, you can continue as a Cadet until age 25 or move to an adult unit at age 18.
Many Cadets join St John Ambulance Isle of Man to gain relevant experience before pursuing a career as a paramedic or health care professional. With so many different activities to get involved with, there is something for everyone. Some of these include:
- learning first aid and volunteering at events
- engaging in social action and helping your local community
- learning about health and wellbeing
- developing your confidence and communication skills through our Cadet leadership courses
- becoming a Peer Educator and helping to teach others first aid
How much does it cost?
All Badger Setts and Cadet units charge a fixed annual subscription of £72 which can be paid annually or monthly.
The payment covers costs, such as
- keeping young people safe
- leadership courses (Cadets)
- equipment, certificates, and badges.
There are sometimes extra costs for other events, such as camps and residential courses.
Subscriptions do not cover the cost of uniform.
As a Youth Team volunteer, you’ll be trained to provide our young people with both life skills and life-saving skills, all while having fun!
Youth Leaders are the backbone of our youth organisation. If you like being involved with young people and want the chance to be part of the team that inspires our young people to achieve and become an essential part of our organisation, please get in touch.
These are both flexible volunteer roles. Whether it’s once a week or once a month, you can volunteer as much or as little as suits you and your lifestyle. DBS check required.